Add Support to the Bathroom and Shower:
- Install non-slip mats and grab bars to the shower and tub.
- Install a grab bar near the toilet and use a raised toilet seat.
- Install handrails on BOTH sides of the stairwell.
- Add lights and light switches to BOTH ends of the stairwell and hallway.
- Clear pathways by removing books, clothes, newspapers, cords, slippery rugs.
- If you notice yourself having to weave around furniture, consider removing or moving the furniture so that you have an easier path.
- Remove throw rugs or add double-sided tape to secure rugs to the floor.
- Place non-skid strips on stairs that lead into the house.
- Use solid, non-slip shoes in the house and outside. Soft soled and high-heeled shoes can be unsteady.
- Move items in the house so that items used most often can be reached easily.
- Do not use a step stool, stand on tip toe, or climb a ladder to reach items.
- Call family and friends if you need help reaching items or rearranging items onto lower shelves.